Original EarthMat Fabric Weed Mat - 36" x 36" Size$3.50
Original EarthMat™ Fabric Weed Mat
The GreenTec EarthMat™ is a fully degradable weed barrier that is made from post-consumer recycled synthetic and natural fibers. The EarthMat is a non-woven fabric mat, allowing air and water to penetrate the soil. This offers distinct advantage over solid plastic mats, which heat up the soil and block moisture. The EarthMat lasts 3-4 years before breaking down, lasting for the entire establishment cycle of high-value tree and shrub crops. With a physical weed barrier present, the need for herbicides is drastically reduced.
The 36" x 36" Original EarthMat is excellent for high-value forestry, christmas trees, orchards and vineyards. For high-density plantings, the mats can be "tiled", creating a uniform weed barrier down the entire row. The EarthMat, with its natural fiber content, also absorbs and transmits water - This function helps the mat quickly adhere to the soil, preventing the erosion seen on hilly sites where only herbicides are used. The mats also help conserve water - Drip irrigation lines can be installed before putting down the mats - This helps prevent water loss from evaporation, and also protects irrigation tubing from animal damage. Fertilizers can be applied directly on top of the mats, as rainwater will carry the nutrients through the mats directly to the plant's roots.
Our newly-added Conservation size is 18" x 18", and is especially useful for conservation and forestry plantings where less of a premium is put on fast growth. The EarthMat 18 helps to cover 4 times as many trees for not much more than purchasing one standard EarthMat, and is especially helpful on hilly ground with limited access.
- Prevents Weed Growth
- Eliminates need for spraying herbicides
- Allows Air and Water to penetrate soil
- Attracts moisture from the air
- Keeps the root zone cool
- Will not leach toxins into the soil
- Does not contribute to root rot
- Easy to install
- Environmentally Sound
- Lasts for the entire establishment period of plants before degrading
- 100% degradable in 3-4 years
- Habitat Restoration
- Food Plots
HOW TO USE
- Trim existing weeds down to soil line around plants
- Cut a slit in the weed mat if desired. For small seedlings, the mat can be placed intact over the tree for maximum weed protection.
- Pin down the mat with non-galvanized landscape staples - Use 8 staples for the Original EarthMat and 4 for the Conservation EarthMat.
- Pin the remaining corner.
- Place a tree tube, wire cage or other animal barrier around the plant, if desired.